Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Girl Power! Peace!

With the come-back tour of the Spice Girls and Posh on every magazine cover, lately I drift back to those middle school days of "girl power" "peace" and "wanna be." Sometimes you just need a little "Girl Power" for a boost in this man-driven world. Sure, we give the guys opportunities to accompany us, but it is only to make them feel better about themselves. Look out fellas...us girls aren't going anywhere and we have voices that will be impossible to ignore!

Taylor Swift "Our Song"

High school senior and country ingenue Taylor Swift has created a lot of buzz this year. Not only because she has had a number one album and two hit singles under her belt before her 18th birthday but also because she wrote or co-wrote every song on her debut album. Third single from the set, "Our Song", finds Taylor getting reassurance from her significant other that they don't need a particular tune to call their own: "...Our song is the way you laugh/The first date..." "man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have..." Heavy on the fiddle and banjo "Our Song" showcases Taylor's ability to bang out country hits with her pen as well as her voice.

Rihanna featuring Ne-Yo "Hate That I Love You"

Sometimes it only takes one spin of a song to know that its destined to be a hit. Such is the case with the third single from Rihanna's stellar album "Good Girl Gone Bad." With the assistance of R & B's singer/songwriter of the moment Ne-Yo, we are given a fun and catchy melody to sing along with. "And I hate how much I love you boy/I can't stand how much I need you/And I hate how much I love you boy/But I just can't let you go/And I hate that I love you so." A chorus that sticks with you long after the song has ended "Hate That I Love You" is mid-tempo ballad of excellence.

No comments: